Small plan showing the area between the cities of Gueldres, Venloo and Ruremonde
- Vue de Gueldres prise entre les Twystede et Wissem, a ¼ de lieue de gueldres.
- Publication date
- 330 by 220mm (13 by 8.75 inches).
Manuscript plan and view, original hand-colour, dissected and mounted on linen.
Small plan showing the area between the cities of Gueldres (Geldern), Venloo and Ruremonde (Roermond). Below the tite is a view of Geldern with its houses, church and mill.
At the beginning of the eighteenth century the city fell under Prussia and became a seat of administration. King Frederick II of Prussia visited the city in August 1740 and later ordered the demolition of the city fortifications. Between 1794 and 1814 the city was occupied by the French.
The map delineates the streets that linked the towns and villages and highlighted in red are the intersections between the roads, thus where there were populated areas. Two rivers cross the land: the Meuse, which flows towards the north and sides Ruremonde and Venloo, and the Nierse, which streams downhill through Gueldres and Wachlendonck.
From the Library of the Dukes of Luynes.
Charles Louis d'Albert de Luynes (1717-1771) was a French nobleman and member of the House of Albert. He was the fifth Duke of Luynes as well as Duke of Chevreuse.
He took part in the war in 1733 in the War of the Polish Succession. He also took part in campaigns in 1735 and 1745, the latter in the War of the Austrian Succession, and was injured in combat at Sahay at the head of the Dragoons. He participated in the attack of Prague in 1742, and also assisted in various sieges and battles of the era.
In 1754, he was created a Colonel General of the Dragoons. From 1757 to 1771, he was the Gouverneur de Paris (Military governor of Paris), an ancient and prestigious rank representing the king in the capital. He also was created a Knight of the Order of the Holy Spirit at Versailles on 2 February 1759.
He died in Paris in his Hôtel. He was buried at the Chapelle de Saint Jean l'Évangeliste at the Église Saint-Sulpice, Paris.