An unrecorded state with erasures on the plate
- To Martin Folkes Esq[ui]r[e] President of the Royal Society: This Plan of the Cities of London with the Contiguous Buildings; is humbly Inscribed by his most Humble Servants John Pine and John Tinney.
- ROCQUE, John
- Published according to Act of Parliament, Sold by the Proprietors John Bowles in Cornhill, Carington Bowles in St. Pauls Church Yard, Robert Sayer in Fleet Street, and Thomas Jefferys at the Corner of St. Martins Lane in the Strand,
- Publication place
- Publication date
- 20th May, 1763.
- 512 by 953mm (20.25 by 37.5 inches).
The text below the plan states that the map was taken from Rocque's great survey of the city, the surveying of which was begun in March of 1737, and took nine years for Rocque to complete. The map is dedicated by John Pine and John Tinney to the president of the Royal Society, Martin Folkes. John Pine, who described himself as Bluemantel Pursuivant at Arms & Engraver of Seals, etc. to His Majesty, engraved the original 24-sheet map and the reduction. John Tinney was responsible along with Pine for the map's publication. The text below, which is dated 1742, states how accurate the 24-sheet map was and what lengths they went to: "they have not thought much of the trouble of drawing the main Plan over again before they began the engrave: and which last they have deferred, till we (ie Martin Folkes and P. Duvall) could venture to give them this additional Recommendation".
The present map is an unrecorded state after Howgego 100 state (3). The imprint is the same as in state (3), however, the plan bears numerous erasures to the plate in order to accommodate new information: for example a large area of St Marylebone, Pimlico, Blackfriars Road, Blackfriars Bridge, New Bridge Street, and London Bridge.
Scale: 6 inches to 1 statute mile.
Howgego 100 (3).