Bartholomew's plan of Canton
- Plan of the City of Canton.
- [BARTHOLOMEW, John & Co.]
- Bartholomew & Co.,
- Publication place
- Publication date
- 230 by 310mm. (9 by 12.25 inches).
Plan of Canton Guangzhou, China, published by J. Bartholomew.
This detailed plan gives a picture of Canton at the end of the Second Opium War. The old city is rendered with the great palaces, pagodas, and the city's many gates all marked. To the north of the city walls lie the imposing hill forts, and to the south is the new city which, before the outbreak of hostilities, housed the residence of the Governor Ye Mingchen. Although it is now marked 'French Cathedral on site of Yips Yaman' - alluding to the area's future use as the site for the Catholic Cathedral of the Sacred Heart, the land for which would be brought in 1861, and would be eventually opened in 1888. Beyond the city walls to the right are depicted the north and east parade grounds. Just to the south west of the new city walls, the old and new factory areas are shown. The new factory area is marked to the west on Sheeman Island. The old factories had been heavily damaged during the war and, in 1859, the British and French had decided to relocate to the more easily defendable Shameen Island.