Venezuela — Isla Margarita
By WALKER, J[ohn] & C[harles], 1826
The Bays of Pampater and Port Moreno in the island of Margarita; [and] The Port of Laguna Grande del Obispo in the Gulf of Cariaco
- Author: WALKER, J[ohn] & C[harles]
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Hydrographical Office of the Admiralty, Sold by R. B. Bate 21, Poultry Lane, for the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty by their Appointment
- Publication date: 10th July 1826.
- Physical description: Two engraved charts on one map sheet.
- Dimensions: 290 by 210mm. (11.5 by 8.25 inches).
- Inventory reference: 11590
The title states that the chart was copied from a ‘Spanish printed Plan’, this refers to the ‘Portulano de la America Setentrional’ a work published by the Spanish Admiralty in 1809, and containing 111 charts of the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico. A second edition of the pilot was published in 1818 with 121 charts.
John and Charles Walker, founding members of the Royal Geographic Society, were leading mapmakers and engravers working in London in the first half of the nineteenth century. They are known to have produced numerous charts for James Horsburgh and the Admiralty.