Geographical and Zoological Game of the World. Spooner’s Map of the World Showing the Distribution of the Principal Animals over the Globe and Illustrated with the Comparative Heights of the Principal Edifices of the World; the orbit of the World &c. &c.
- Author: SPOONER, William
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: W. Spooner, Strand
- Publication date: Aug. 16th, 1852.
- Physical description: Lithograph map, fine original hand-colour, dissected and mounted on linen, folding into brown cloth covers, with publisher’s label, rules to game pasted to inside cover.
- Inventory reference: 11748
Above the map are twelve vignettes of animals and their habitats from around the world; these include the elephant, rhinoceros, boa constrictor, lion, hippo, puma, black bear, tiger and American bison. Surrounding the map is a list and diagram of the 19 principal edifices of the world, together with diagrams of the annual revolution of the earth round the sun and the altitude of the sun at the summer and winter solstice and equinox.
William Matthias Spooner (1796–1882) was a publisher and printseller working in London. He specialised in children’s instructional games.
We are unable to trace an institutional example.