Unrecorded chart of the Billiton Strait
By INSKIP, John, 1788
A Chart of Billiton Straits with the Track, Soundings &c. of the London East Indiaman, John Eastabrooke Esq: Commander. by Mr. John Inskip, late Second Mate of the above Ship.
- Author: INSKIP, John
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: W. Darton & Co., Wh.t Lion Court, Birchin Lane
- Publication date: Sept. 4th, 1788.<br />
- Physical description: Engraved chart.
- Dimensions: 550 by 765mm. (21.75 by 30 inches).
- Inventory reference: 17572
This very detailed, large-scale chart, oriented with east to the top, shows the strait between the islands of Bangka and Belitung in the north Java Sea which, in turn, lie between Sumatra and Borneo. A route is plotted with numerous depth soundings navigating around the “Treacherous islands” that fill the channel. The “References” specify that “It will be necessary to have a Boat on each Bow Sounding”.