Trion’s map of southwest Southeast Asia
By TIRION, Isaak, 1769
Nieuwe Kaart van de Sundasche Eilanden als Borneo, Sumatra en Groot Iava &c
- Author: TIRION, Isaak
- Publication place: Amsterdam
- Publisher: Isaak Tirion
- Publication date: 1744–1769
- Physical description: Engraved map with contemporary hand-colour in outline, a bit creased, lower edge frayed.
- Dimensions: 420 by 530mm. (16.5 by 20.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 17593
Isaak Tirion (c1705-1765) was granted the privilege in September of 1728 to publish Thomas Salmon’s ‘Modern History, or the Present State of all Nations’, in Dutch, a little over a year after his name appears for the first time in the records of the bookseller’s guild. Although he was primarily known as a bookseller, he also made a name for himself in the world of cartography, publishing a number of atlases despite the fact that he was neither a cartographer nor a geographer. His wife continued the business for about 10 years after his death.
- Philips 600.