Typo De La Carta Cosmographica De Gaspar Vopellio Medeburgense…
- Author: DE GIRAVA, Gerónimo
- Publication place: Milan
- Publisher: G.A. Castiglione and C. Carron
- Publication date: 1556.
- Physical description: Double-page woodcut map of the world on a cordiform projection.
- Dimensions: 355 by 440mm (14 by 17.25 inches).
- Inventory reference: 13888
The heart-shaped projection follows Waldseemuller’s world map of 1507, but the geography is very different: North America / “Nueva Espana” shares a land mass with Asia and Labrador is connected to “Grutlandia”. Girava acknowledges Vopell’s influence, particularly in his rendering of the conjoining of the Asian and New World landmasses. He notes Balboa’s discovery of the Pacific Ocean in 1513, and intriguingly mentions that the great southern landmass “Terra incognita” had been sighted in 1499.
- Shirley 101.
- Shirley, Rodney. (1987). The mapping of the world. London: Holland Press.