The thirteen colonies
By LOTTER, Matthew Albert, 1776
Carte Nouvelle de l’Amerique Angloise…
- Author: LOTTER, Matthew Albert
- Publication place: Augsburg
- Publisher: Matthew Albert Lotter
- Publication date: 1776.
- Physical description: Engraved map with original hand colour.
- Dimensions: 600 by 500mm (23.5 by 19.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 12195
Lotter’s attractive map of the British colonies in America at the start of the War of Independence. Each of the thirteen colonies is identified by name both on the map and in the title, within an attractive decorative border surmounted by the crest of British royal family. The French title and nomenclature indicates that Lotter, a leading German mapmaker, intended this for the French market, as does the fact that he limits the claims of the British to the regions east of the Appalachian Mountains.