The South Atlantic
By IMRAY, James, 1868
- Author: IMRAY, James
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: James Imray & Son, Hydrographers
- Publication date: 1868.
- Physical description: Engraved chart on three sheets joined and backed on blue paper, nine inset charts, four magnetic charts, and wind charts to right of chart, a few minor tears.
- Dimensions: 1015 by 1592mm. (40 by 62.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 11982
The chart stretches from the Galapagos Islands in the west to Cape Town in the east, and from Guyana in the north to South Shetland Islands in the south. As well as nine inset charts of islands and major ports the chart also includes four charts depicting magnetic variation and four wind charts.
James Imray (1803–1870), worked originally in the stationery and account book publishing business. In 1836 Imray joined with Michael Blachford. The partnership flourished and soon began to compete with the larger firm of Norie and Wilson. In 1846 Imray bought out Blachford, and the company survived, led by his descendants, into the twentieth century, when it merged with Norie and Wilson.