The siege of Ballymore
By SAVAGE, John, 1691
The Siege of Ballimore June ye 7th 1691 Taken by a Principle Officer in ye Army.
- Author: SAVAGE, John
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: John Savage
- Publication date: 1691.
- Physical description: Engraved map.
- Dimensions: 256 by 335mm. (10 by 13.25 inches).
- Inventory reference: 11346
John Savage (fl. 1683–1701) was a London-based engraver, printseller and publisher. He may have prepared this map to accompany a newsletter description of the siege: at least three were printed in the aftermath of the battle, although none are illustrated. It is possible that the rapid advance of William through Ireland, capturing Athlone and routing the Jacobites in the Battle of Aughrim, brought the war to an end so swiftly that the plan was no longer relevant to the customers it was intended for, hence its rarity.
No other copies are known.
- Worms and Baynton-Williams, British Map Engravers.
- Worms, L. and Baynton-Williams, A. (2011). British map engravers. London: Rare Book Society.
- Unrecorded in ESTC and COPAC