The Royal Group of docks

By PORT OF LONDON AUTHORITY, 1968 

Plan of the Royal Group of Docks.

British Isles London
  • Author: PORT OF LONDON AUTHORITY
  • Publication place: [London]
  • Publisher: Port of London Authority, Trinity Square, E.C.3
  • Publication date: 1968.
  • Physical description: Lithographed map, dissected and mounted on linen, folding into original blue covers, title in gilt.
  • Dimensions: 575 by 1018mm. (22.75 by 40 inches).
  • Inventory reference: 13947

Notes

The Royal Docks are so called because they are named for British royalty: the Royal Albert Dock, the Royal Victoria Dock and the King George V Dock. The Royal Albert Dock was the original site for the London School of Tropical Medicine. The docks are now closed to commercial shipping, but are often used for watersports.

The Port of London Authority was formed in 1909. It was prompted by a series of industrial actions by dock workers, including their demand for the Docker’s Tanner’, a wage of 6d. an hour, in 1889. The Port was a vital part of the British economy: refining and processing industries grew up around goods brought in to the docks and it was the centre of British shipbuilding and repair. The PLA continues to supervise and manage the Port of London, the docks, and the London stretch of the River Thames. This map was issued from the former PLA headquarters in Trinity Square. 

Image gallery