The River Colne
By ACHERLEY, Thomas, 1720
Untitled map of a Proposed Canal from ‘Gultchwell Springs’ to a ‘Reservoir’ north of ‘Mary le Bone’
- Author: ACHERLEY, Thomas
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Thomas Acherley
- Publication date: c.1720.
- Physical description: Engraved map.
- Dimensions: 190 by 265mm. (7.5 by 10.5 inches).
- Inventory reference: 11337
In answer to objections raised against his scheme, he suggests that the water lost to the River Colne could be replaced by the simple means of cleaning its tributary streams to improve their flow of water into the river.
The map, although unsigned, was engraved by Herman Moll.
The Calendar of Treasury Papers, on 30th September 1724, describes Acherley’s proposals, and appears to refer to a later “nicely executed plan or map which appears to have been prepared by the petitioner.”.