The Ottoman Empire
By SPEED, John, 1631
The Turkish Empire
- Author: SPEED, John
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Are to be sold in pops head alley by G. Humble
- Publication date: 1631
- Physical description: Engraved map, slight foxing.
- Dimensions: 410 by 520mm. (16.25 by 20.5 inches).
- Inventory reference: 11412
John Speed (1552–1629) was the outstanding cartographer of his age. His ‘Theatre of Great Britain’, first published in 1611 or 1612, was the first atlas of Great Britain: Speed prepared the maps himself about two years before they were published. This map is from the ‘Prospect of the Most Famous Parts of the World’, produced in collaboration with Speed to accompany the ‘Theatre’ and published in a joint edition by George Humble in 1631. Many of the maps were anglicized versions of works by Dutch makers, who introduced the carte-à-figure style, with borders of figures in local costume and city views.
- Chubb XXV.
- Chubb, T., Skells, J. and Beharrell, H. (1977). The printed maps in the atlases of Great Britain and Ireland. Folkestone: Dawson.