Map of the County of Norfolk from Actual Survey By A. Bryant, In the Years 1824, 1825, and 1826. Respectfully Dedicated to the Nobility, Clergy & Gentry, of the County.
- Author: BRYANT, A[ndrew]
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Published by A. Bryant, 27, Great Ormund Street
- Publication date: Dec.r 1st, 1826.
- Physical description: Large scale engraved map, fine original hand-colour, dissected and mounted on linen, in two sections, key to map lower left, view of Norwich Cathedral lower right, edged in green silk, housed in modern green leather case.
- Dimensions: 1480 by 2300mm (58.25 by 90.5 inches).
- Inventory reference: 11848
A superbly detailed map in the Bryant tradition, one of thirteen counties surveyed between 1822 and 1835. The detail includes towns, villages, churches, buildings, castles, parks, gentleman’s seats, commons, heaths and hills, parishes and other boundaries, broads, fens, canals, wind and water mills, fox covers, roads, lanes, toll bars and rivers. Though the two sections are almost completely filled by the map, Bryant manages to include a large calligraphic title and view of Norwich Cathedral without them being obtrusive. There is the usual list of “Ecclesiastical Divisions” and the “Explanation”. The latter follows the pattern of Bryant in 1822, when he produced his first survey of Hertfordshire. One addition to the present map is the detail shown of the Fens and the Marshland, but a more regular feature is the careful delineation of cities and towns in an ichnographical manner, one of the great advances of the large scale map over its atlas counterpart.
Scale: 1 1/4 inches to one statute mile.
- Rodger 324.
- Rodger, E. (1972). The Large Scale County Maps of the British Isles 1596–1850: A Union List. Second edition. Oxford: Bodleian Library.