Geometrischer Entwurf Der Gesammten XVII Niederländischen Provintzien.
- Author: Anonymous
- Publication place: [Frankfurt
- Publisher: Wilhelm Serlin
- Publication date: 1672].
- Physical description: Hand-coloured engraved map.
- Dimensions: 410 by 515mm (16.25 by 20.25 inches).
- Inventory reference: 1921
The ‘Hollandischer Mercurius’ could best be described as a periodical, or a bound collection of reportage of a particular year. Such reportage had a long tradition, going back to the end of the sixteenth century. One can see why — with the outbreak of the Franco-Dutch War (1672–1678) — Serlin decided to publish the periodical and use the lion to represent the Dutch Republic. However, rather than showing the lion triumphant against foreign foes, here he has been subjugated by the might of France, with their victory at Nijmegen in 1672, depicted below Louis XIV’s horse.