The largest and most detailed plan of Nottingham published to date
By STAVELEY, E[dward] and WOOD H[enry] M[oses], 1830
To the Right Honourable Henry Richard Vassall Lord Holland, Recorder of Nottingham, and to the Right Worshipful The Mayor, Aldermen, and Common Council there of, This Plan of the Town and County of the Town of Nottingham and of the several extra Parochial Places within the Liberties of the Castle together with parts of the parishes of Lenton, Radford and Sneinton, in the County of Nottingham. From surveys made in the years 1827, 1828, & 1829. Is dedicated with every sentiment of respect by their most obedient servants E. Stanley & H.M. Wood.
- Author: STAVELEY, E[dward] and WOOD H[enry] M[oses]
- Publication place: London & Nottingham
- Publisher: Published by Riddle & Co., Paternoster Row, and by E. Staveley & H.M. Wood
- Publication date: 1830.
- Physical description: Engraved plan on two sheets joined, inset view of Nottingham Castle, lower right.
- Dimensions: 1220 by 1180mm (48 by 46.5 inches).
- Inventory reference: 14563
Edward Staveley architect and mapmaker (1768–1837) was appointed survey to the Nottingham Corporation in 1796; Staveley’s appointment would be the starting point for the formal architecture and panning of the city. Although responsible for several buildings in Nottingham, only the Baptist Chapel, on George Street (1815), now the ‘Arts Theatre’ and the Plumptre Hospital, Plumptre Square, survive. He is best known along his fellow architect Henry Moses Wood (1788–1867) for their great survey of the city, the present plan.
Rare Copac and Worldcat record only two institutional example: Nottingham University and Cambridge University.
Scale: 34.5 inches to one statute mile.