The high watermark of the British Empire
By CRANE, Walter, 1886
Imperial Federation — Map of the World showing the extent of the British Empire.
- Author: CRANE, Walter
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: supplement to the “Graphic”, Maclure & Co. Queen Victoria Street
- Publication date: 1886.
- Physical description: Chromolithograph map.
- Dimensions: 600 by 785mm. (23.5 by 31 inches).
- Inventory reference: 3018
To the upper right is an inset map dipicting Britain’s colonial possessions in 1786.
The illustrations were drawn by Walter Crane, a prominent illustrator and artist with strong socialist sympathies, perhaps explaining the contradictory themes in the map of imperialism and “human labour” holding up the world in the form of Atlas. Crane’s contributions to the map remained unnoticed until the research of Pippa Biltcliffe was published in 2005.