The first separate map of Scotland to be found in a book
By LESLIE, Bishop John, 1578
De Origine moribus, et rebus gestis Scotorum.
- Author: LESLIE, Bishop John
- Publication place: Rome
- Publisher: In aedibus populi Romani
- Publication date: 1578.
- Physical description: 2 parts in one volume, 4to (215 by 170mm), double ruled borders throughout, title with woodcut headpiece and vignette (repeated in colophon), woodcut headpieces and initials, folding engraved map of Scotland, 11 full-page engraved genealogies of the kings of Scotland, most incorporating portrait vignettes, the divisional title with the engraved arms of Mary Queen of Scots on the verso, contemporary limp vellum, title in manuscript to spine.
- Inventory reference: 1835
The map is based upon the map of Great Britain by George Lily of 1548.
- Adams L541
- Censimento 16 CNCE 33941.