The first printed map of Yorkshire
By SAXTON, Christopher, 1579
Eboracensis Comitatus (cuius incolae olim Brigantes appellabantur) Longitudine Latitudine hominuq. numero reliquiis illustrior. An. Dni. 1577
- Author: SAXTON, Christopher
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Christopher Saxton
- Publication date: 1579.
- Physical description: Double-page engraved map, fine original colour in outline, some offsetting, contemporary annotation on verso in brown ink, some light marginal soiling and small marginal tear, trimmed at upper and lower left corners, not affecting printed image.
- Dimensions: 560 by 750mm. (22 by 29.5 inches).
- Inventory reference: 15355
The county name, in Latin, is contained within an elaborate cartouche in the upper right corner, intricately decorated, boldly coloured in blue, and surmounted with the royal coat-of arms. Below this, at the bottom of the map, the heraldic crest of Saxton’s patron, Thomas Seckford, is featured on the left, also held within an ornamental cartouche, while on the right the map’s scale is accompanied by two banners, which identify Saxton as the cartographer and Augustine Ryther as the engraver. The map of Yorkshire is the largest of the 34 county maps included in Saxton’s ‘Atlas of England and Wales’, due to the fact that it combines all three Ridings. Legal documents from the early seventeenth century record that Saxton was called to testify to the accuracy of his Yorkshire map in court, which he did on the basis that it had been granted the royal seal of approval. Additionally, like all the maps in his atlas, this map bears the cartographer’s watermark, a bunch of grapes, to identify the work as original.