The first printed map of Wiltshire
By SAXTON, Christopher, 1579
Wiltoniae Comitatus harbida Planicie nobilis hic ob oculos pro ponitur. Anno Dni 1576
- Author: SAXTON, Christopher
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Christopher Saxton
- Publication date: 1579.
- Physical description: Double-page engraved map, fine original hand-colour in outline, contemporary annotation on verso in brown ink, some minor offsetting, some light marginal soiling.
- Dimensions: 420 by 550mm. (16.5 by 21.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 15363
Down the left side of the map run a series of elaborate illustrations, crowned by the royal coat-of-arms in the upper corner. In bold colouring, the crest is flanked by the English lion and Welsh dragon. Directly below this a striking cartouche contains the Latin county name. Underneath can be found the heraldic crest of the Seckford family, which appears on all 35 of Saxton’s county maps, here accompanied by its later Latin motto. In the lower corner the map’s scale is completed with two banners identifying Saxton as the cartographer and Remigius Hogenberg as the engraver. Hogenberg was responsible for producing a number of the copper plates from which the maps of Saxton’s great atlas were produced. Additionally, like all the maps in the ‘Atlas of England and Wales’, this map bears Saxton’s watermark, a bunch of grapes, to identify the work as original.