The first printed map of Warwickshire and Leicestershire
By SAXTON, Christopher, 1579
Warwic Lecestriaeq. Comita Civitat. Oppidoru. Villaru. Fluminu. Ceterarumq. Rerum omnium in eisdem memorabilium, nova, veraq. descriptio
- Author: SAXTON, Christopher
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Christopher Saxton
- Publication date: 1579.
- Physical description: Double-page engraved map, fine original colour in outline, some offsetting, contemporary annotation on verso in brown ink, some light marginal soiling.
- Dimensions: 420 by 550mm. (16.5 by 21.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 15348
A grand cartouche dominates the upper left corner of the map, containing the county names in Latin and surmounted with the royal coat-of-arms flanked by the English lion and Welsh dragon. Below this a smaller coat-of-arms is featured, the heraldic crest of Thomas Seckford with both of the family’s Latin mottos. In the opposite corner another elaborate cartouche contains details of the map’s dating, and a banner identifying Saxton as the cartographer and Leonard Terwood as the engraver. Above these is found the scale, ornamented in greater detail than on the majority of Saxton’s county maps. Additionally, like all the maps in the ‘Atlas of England and Wales’, this map bears Saxton’s watermark, a bunch of grapes, to identify the work as original.