[Staffordshire] Staffordiae Comitatu pfecte et absolute elaboratu haec tibi tabula exhibet Anno Dni 1577
- Author: SAXTON, Christopher
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Christopher Saxton
- Publication date: 1579.
- Physical description: Double-page engraved map, fine original hand-colour in outline, contemporary annotation on verso in brown ink, centre fold to lower margin reinforced.
- Dimensions: 420 by 550mm. (16.5 by 21.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 15343
The four corners of the map feature the county name, contained within an elaborate and boldly coloured cartouche in the top left, the royal coat-of-arms to the right, the heraldic crest of the Seckford family in the lower right corner, and the scale to its left. All four elements are typical features of Saxton’s county maps, with the banners on the scale denoting the cartographer, Saxton himself, and the engraver, in this came Franciscus Scatterus, a Flemish craftsman employed as one of the seven engravers who produced the copper plates for the atlas. Additionally, like all the maps in Saxton’s ‘Atlas of England and Wales’, this map bears his watermark, a bunch of grapes, to identify the work as original.