Salopiae comitatus summa cum fide, cura et diligentia descriptionem haec tibi tabula refert. A.Dm. 1577
- Author: SAXTON, Christopher
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Christopher Saxton
- Publication date: 1579
- Physical description: Double-page engraved map, fine original hand-colour in outline, some slight offsetting, contemporary annotation on verso in brown ink, light marginal soiling
- Dimensions: 420 by 550mm. (16.5 by 21.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 15342
As on all of Saxton’s maps, the county name is enclosed within a cartouche surmounted by the royal coat-of-arms, which here features in the top right corner. Similarly, the distinctive Seckford crest, with its later Latin motto, is featured on the left, below which there is the scale, complete with banners identifying Saxton as the cartographer and Remigius Hogenberg as engraver. Additionally, like all the maps in Saxton’s ‘Atlas of England and Wales’, this map bears his watermark, a bunch of grapes, to identify the work as original.