The first printed map of Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire and Berkshire
By SAXTON, Christopher, 1579
[Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire and Berkshire] Oxonii buckinghamiae et berceriae Comitatum una cum suis undiq confinibus, oppidis, pagis, villis, et fluminibus in eisdem vera descriptio. An Dm 1574
- Author: SAXTON, Christopher
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Christopher Saxton
- Publication date: 1579.
- Physical description: Double-page engraved map, fine original full-wash colour, some minor offsetting, contemporary annotation on verso in brown ink, some light marginal soiling.
- Dimensions: 420 by 550mm. (16.5 by 21.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 15345
Directly opposite another detailed cartouche contains the royal coat-of-arms, as it appears on all of Saxton’s maps, along with the Seckford crest in the lower left corner, here featured with its early Latin motto “pestis patriae pigricies”. The scale in the lower right corner attests to the expansive area covered by this map, and contains a banner identifying Saxton as the cartographer, although it fails to record the engraver. There is no evidence that Saxton engraved any of the copper plates used to print his maps, but employed a team of seven English and Flemish craftsmen to carry out the task. Additionally, like all the maps in Saxton’s ‘Atlas of England and Wales’, this map bears his watermark, a bunch of grapes, to identify the work as original.