The first printed map of Montgomeryshire and Merionethshire
By SAXTON, Christopher, 1579
Montgomeri ac. Merionidh
duorum borialis cambriae comitatuum B. Gwinedhia A. Northwales nuncupat descriptio An. Dni. 1578.
- Author: SAXTON, Christopher
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Christopher Saxton
- Publication date: 1579.
- Physical description: Double-page engraved map, fine original hand-colour in outline, some offsetting, contemporary annotation on verso in brown ink, some light marginal soiling.
- Dimensions: 420 by 550mm. (16.5 by 21.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 15372
In the upper right corner of the map, the Latin county name is enclosed within an ornate cartouche surmounted by the royal coat-of-arms, flanked by the English lion and Welsh dragon. Below this in the lower corner, the Seckford family crest is accompanied by its later Latin motto and encircled by a decorative wreath. On the other side, positioned over Cardiganshire, the map’s scale is found, together with two banners identifying Saxton as the cartographer and Remigius Hogenberg as the engraver. A Flemish craftsman, Hogenberg was responsible for producing many of the copper plates on from which Saxton’s county maps were printed. After printing, artists were then enlisted to paint the maps by hand, devoting much attention to the elaborate crests and cartouches in particular. Along with these, the ships and sea-creatures illustrated in the ocean, and the decorative outer-frame, point to the ornamental purpose of Saxton’s map. Additionally, like all the maps in the ‘Atlas of England and Wales’, this map bears his watermark, a bunch of grapes, to identify the work as original.