The first printed map of Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire
By SAXTON, Christopher, 1579
[Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire] Lincolniae Notinhamiaeq.
Comitatuu nova vera et accurata descriptio. Anno Domini 1576
- Author: SAXTON, Christopher
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Christopher Saxton
- Publication date: 1579.
- Physical description: Double-page engraved map, fine original colour in outline, contemporary annotation on verso in brown ink, lower margin trimmed to neatline.
- Dimensions: 420 by 550mm. (16.5 by 21.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 15356
The four common features of Saxton’s county maps are found along the left side, with the royal coat-of-arms in the upper corner, complete with a large banner containing the monarch’s motto. Below this, the names of the counties, written in Latin, are held by an elaborate cartouche in bold blue colouring. The Seckford family crest sits below this, accompanied by its later Latin motto, in tribute to Saxton’s patron, Thomas Seckford. In the lower corner the map’s scale is found, alongside which banners identify Saxton as the cartographer and Remigius Hogenberg as engraver. Hogenberg was a prominent Flemish craftsman, who worked alongside Saxton’s team of engravers to produce the copper plates from which the maps were made. Additionally, like all the maps in Saxton’s ‘Atlas of England and Wales’, this map bears his watermark, a bunch of grapes, to identify the work as original.