[Glamorgan] Glamorga Comitatus australis Cambriae pars descriptio An Dni 1578
- Author: SAXTON, Christopher
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Christopher Saxton
- Publication date: 1579.
- Physical description: Double-page engraved map, fine original hand-colour in outline, contemporary annotation on verso in brown ink.
- Dimensions: 420 by 550mm. (16.5 by 21.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 15369
The upper left corner of the map, the county name is written in Latin within an ornamental cartouche surmounted by the royal coat-of-arms, flanked by the English lion and Welsh dragon, and accompanied by the Queen’s initials. In the corner below the Seckford family crest is found with its later Latin motto, in honour of Saxton’s patron, Thomas Seckford. Beside this on the right, the map’s scale is raised on an elaborate plinth that also contains a banner identifying Saxton as the cartographer. Unlike on many of the maps in his ‘Atlas of England and Wales’, it is not made clear who engraved the copper plate of Glamorgan, although it is likely to have been one of the craftsmen identified on one of the other maps. Additionally, like all the maps in his atlas, this map bears Saxton’s watermark, a bunch of grapes, to identify the work as original.