The first printed map of Derbyshire
By SAXTON, Christopher, 1579
[Derbyshire] Universi Derbiensis Comitatus graphica descriptio 1577
- Author: SAXTON, Christopher
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Christopher Saxton
- Publication date: 1579.
- Physical description: Double-page engraved map, fine original colour in outline, some offsetting, contemporary annotation on verso in brown ink, some light marginal soiling, one small minor tear to margin, not affecting plate.
- Dimensions: 420 by 550mm. (16.5 by 21.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 15349
The left side of the map contains the two crests which appear on all of Saxton’s county maps: in the upper corner, the royal coat-of-arms, and in the lower corner, the heraldic crest of the Seckford family accompanied by its later Latin motto. Above this an elaborate cartouche in bold colouring contains the Latin name of the county. The map also features a scale, on which is found Saxton’s name as cartographer, but which fails to note the engraver. From the 33 county maps in the atlas, however, it is apparent that a small team of Flemish and English engravers were responsible for the creation of the copper plates with which the maps were printed. The very plate used to create this map is known to have been in use up until 1720, having been re-engraved at several points. Additionally, like all the maps in Saxton’s ‘Atlas of England and Wales’, this map bears his watermark, a bunch of grapes, to identify the work as original.