The first jigsaw map of Asia
By SPILSBURY, J., 1767
Asia in its Principal Divisions, By J. Spilsbury, 1767.
- Author: SPILSBURY, J.
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Spilsbury, Engraver, Map and Print Seller in Russell Court, Covent Garden
- Publication date: 1767.
- Physical description: Engraved map, fine original hand-colour, pasted onto wood and dissected along country boundaries, Sumatra and Dzungaria pieces in facsimile, two pieces chipped and one split, a couple very slightly warped, lightly dust-soiled and marked, contained in near contemporary wooden box with sliding lid.
- Dimensions: 430 by 470mm (17 by 18.5 inches).
- Inventory reference: 13063
Rare; we are only able to trace one institutional example: the British Library, lacking the Borneo piece.