The final phase of the Peninsular War
By LUFFMAN, John, 1813
A Map of the Western Pyrenees Mount[ai]ns and adjacent country, from Bayonne to St. Sebastian, Vittoria, Bilbao, Pameluna, and Jacca; With the Bearings & Distances from Bayonne, as also, the Passes and Roads
- Author: LUFFMAN, John
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: John Luffman
- Publication date: 1813.
- Physical description: Engraved map, hand coloured.
- Dimensions: 195 by 385mm. (7.75 by 15.25 inches).
- Inventory reference: 11348
Having engraved a good number of maps, Luffman later reprinted them as atlases, for example Luffman’s collection, or a geographical & topographical atlas (1815–1816) and Plans of the principal fortresses in the Netherlands and on the French frontier … (1816); the Newberry Library exemplar noted below seems to be from one such composite collection.
This attractive map depicts the final phase of the Peninsular War, in which the Anglo-Portuguese army, commanded by the Duke of Wellington, having fought its way up through Spain, sought to cross the Pyrenees into southern France.
- Unrecorded on COPAC
- British Museum, Department of Prints & Drawings, 1917,1208.4056
- Newberry Library (Chicago) folio Ayer 135 .L94 1816 pl. : bound in Luffman’s Select plans of cities, harbours, forts, &c … [1816?], but not called for in the original edition.