The earliest printed map to focus on China
By ORTELIUS, Abraham, 1584
Chinae olim Sinarum regionis, nova descriptio. Auctore Ludouico Georgio.
- Author: ORTELIUS, Abraham
- Publication place: [Antwerp
- Publisher: Plantin Press]
- Publication date: 1584.
- Physical description: Hand-coloured engraved map.
- Dimensions: 370 by 470mm. (14.5 by 18.5 inches).
- Inventory reference: 14979
The map is oriented to the west. Japan is shown on a curved projection, borrowing from Portuguese sources. Wind wagons are shown in the north, a Chinese invention that also became popular in the Low Countries.
- Van der Krogt 8410:31, for atlas see van der Krogt 31:051.
- Koeman, C and van der Krogt, Pieter (2000–2010). Koeman’s Atlantes Neerlandici. MS’t Goy-Houten: HES & De Graaf Publishers. 9 vols.