The earliest extant plan of London
By BRAUN, Georg and Franz HOGENBERG, 1574
Londinium Feracissmi Angliae Regni Metropolis.
- Author: BRAUN, Georg and Franz HOGENBERG
- Publication place: Cologne
- Publication date: 1574
- Physical description: Double-page engraved plan, fine original hand-colour.
- Dimensions: 420 by 540mm (16.5 by 21.25 inches).
- Inventory reference: 16250
Although first published in 1572, the plan is clearly based upon information gathered some years earlier. St Paul’s is shown with its spire, which was destroyed in 1561; the cross in St Botolph’s Churchyard is shown, although it was destroyed in 1559; and York Place, so named in 1557, is given its old name ‘Suffolke Place’. Upon the Thames, the royal barge can be seen, together with numerous ferrymen and sailing vessels. On the south bank of the river is the new district of Southwark, with its theatres, and bull and bear baiting pits. To the left is Westminster — connected to the City by a single road — with Westminster Abbey clearly visible. To the north of Westminster, cows are depicted grazing in open fields.
The view was most definitely derived from a 15-sheet city plan, of which only three plates have survived. The original plan was probably commissioned by the Hanseatic League, at sometime around 1550, hence the praise heaped upon the League in the text on the plan.
The present example is the fourth state of the view, from the 1574 edition, identifiable by the spelling of Westminster as “West Muster”; the addition of “Cum Privilegio” to the upper border of the right hand title cartouche; and the addition of the Royal Exchange. This particular example would have appeared in the 1582/88/93 Latin edition of the book.
Scale: 6 1/2 inches to 1 statute mile.
- Howgego 2 (2)
- Howgego, J. (1978). Printed maps of London, circa 1553–1850. Folkestone: Dawson.
- Koeman 2433 state 4.