Gulf of Mexico. Galveston Bay From a Spanish MS. Copied by H.M. Consul J.T. Crawford Esq.
- Author: CRAWFORD, Consul J. T.
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Hydrographical Office of the Admiralty
- Publication date: 15th Oct 1838.
- Physical description: Engraved chart.
- Dimensions: 295 by 205mm. (11.5 by 8 inches).
- Inventory reference: 11614
The chart was copied from a Spanish manuscript by J. T. Crawford was a British diplomatic consul stationed in New Orleans, in 1837. The the upper left of the chart is marked the site of the Battle of San Jacinto (1836), the decisive battle of the Texas Revolution.
John and Charles Walker, founding members of the Royal Geographic Society, were leading mapmakers and engravers working in London in the first half of the nineteenth century. They are known to have produced numerous charts for James Horsburgh and the Admiralty.