An Actual Survey of the County of Sussex Divided, into Rapes, Hundreds and Deanryes, In which the Exact Longitude and Latitude of all the Remarkable Places are Determin’d from Observation. Also An Accurate Delineation By Admeasurement of The Sea-coast, Roads, and the Rivers so far as Navigable etc. By Rich Budgen 1724.
- Author: BUDGEN, Richard
- Publication place: London
- Publication date: 1724.
- Physical description: Surveyed by Richard Budgen and engraved by John Senex on six sheets, three of 660 x 495 mm, and three of 335 x 495 mm, on a scale of 3/4 inch to 1 mile and published in original outline colour by H. Lintot in London in c1730, the second edition. Bound in half calf, folio. A few minor imperfections otherwise an excellent example of this extremely rare survey.
- Inventory reference: 2994
The actual survey took longer to reach completion than originally anticipated. A broadside pasted to the bottom corner of an unfinished proof of the eastern sheet in the British Library dated Jan 10th 1722 informs us that “Whereas it was proposed to deliver the map to subscribers by Christmas 1721, but the Spring and beginning of the Summer proving very wet and Roads thereby impassable for the Wheel. If the coming Spring proves tolerably fair the survey may be completed by midsummer next and some of the Plates engrav’d; of which Proofs may be printed, and sent to the Principal Towns of the County that Gentlemen may have an opportunity of examining them etc. before they are filled with various Particulars.” The survey must have progressed satisfactorily hereon as an advertisement on May 23rd 1723 in the Weekly Journal announced that “Mr. Budgen’s map of Sussex being now finished the subscribers who are to have their arms engraved thereon are desired to send them to Bernard Lintot, Bookseller…that the said map may be published immediately”. The 143 subscribers must have been slow to respond as the request was repeated in a further advertisement on Dec. 21st. There is only one known example of the map in this first state with 143 armorials, surprisingly with the imprint of John Senex, and it may be that this is a proof impression.
When the map re-appeared it was under the imprint of Bernard Lintot’s son, Henry. There were five more coats-of-arms, and, amongst other minor additions, the date 1724 was added to the end of the title. Even so there were still twelve blank shields whilst many of the others lacked a map reference, possibly reflecting their owner’s tardiness in forwarding a subscription. Bernard Lintot, who shared the same address as John Senex, did not advertise the map until some years later — it may be that this edition was not published until after 1730. There was a further edition published by J. Sprange in 1779 but it remains one of the scarcest and most appealing of the early county surveys.