Stanford’s five sheet map of London
By STANFORD, Edward, 1894
Stanford’s Map of the County of London
- Author: STANFORD, Edward
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Edward Stanford
- Publication date: 1894.
- Physical description: Map in five sheets, each backed on linen with marbled cover papers, four sheets 640 x 785 mm, one sheet 1300 x 385 mm
- Dimensions: 1410 by 2100mm. (55.5 by 82.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 11467
Edward Stanford (1827–1904) was a highly successful publisher, known for his accurate maps of London. He began his career working for Trelawny Saunders, an enterprising mapmaker who supplied a daily weather chart for the Great Exhibition. Stanford started his own business in 1853, was elected a fellow of the Royal Geographical Society the following year and set about expanding the cartographical aspect of the firm.
- Hyde 266 (1)
- Hyde, Ralph. (1980). Printed maps of Victorian London 1851–1900. Folkestone: Dawson.