Speed’s map of Monmouthshire
By SPEED, John, 1627
The Countye of Monmouth with the sittutation of the shire-towne described
- Author: SPEED, John
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Described by John Speed, and are to be solde in Popes head Alley against the Exchange by Iohn Sudbury and George Humble
- Publication date: 1627
- Physical description: Engraved map with hand colouring.
- Dimensions: 380 by 510mm. (15 by 20 inches).
- Inventory reference: 11792
John Speed (1552–1629) was the outstanding cartographer of his age. His ‘Theatre of Great Britain’ was the first atlas of the British Isles: Speed prepared the maps himself about two years before they were published. His maps and books dominated the seventeenth-century English market. The present map is taken from the 1627 English edition published by George Humble.
- Chubb XXV.
- Chubb, T., Skells, J. and Beharrell, H. (1977). The printed maps in the atlases of Great Britain and Ireland. Folkestone: Dawson.