Speed’s map of Herefordshire
By SPEED, John, 1627
Herefordshire described with the true plot of the citie of Hereford as alsoe the armes of those nobles that have been intitled with that dignity.
- Author: SPEED, John
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Performed by Iohn Speede, And are to be solde in Popes head alley against the Exchange by Iohn Sudbury and George Humbell
- Publication date: 1627
- Physical description: Engraved map with hand colouring.
- Dimensions: 380 by 505mm. (15 by 20 inches).
- Inventory reference: 11766
John Speed (1552–1629) was the outstanding cartographer of his age. His ‘Theatre of Great Britain’ was the first atlas of the British Isles: Speed prepared the maps himself about two years before they were published. His maps and books dominated the seventeenth-century English market. The present map is taken from the 1627 English edition published by George Humble.
- Chubb XXV.
- Chubb, T., Skells, J. and Beharrell, H. (1977). The printed maps in the atlases of Great Britain and Ireland. Folkestone: Dawson.