A Newe Mape of Germany A Newe Mape of Germany newly Augmented by John Speed. Ano Dom: 1626
- Author: SPEED, John
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: George Humble
- Publication date: 1631
- Physical description: Engraved map with hand colouring.
- Dimensions: 405 by 535mm. (16 by 21 inches).
- Inventory reference: 11402
John Speed (1552–1629) was the outstanding cartographer of his age. His ‘Theatre of Great Britain’, first published in 1611 or 1612, was the first atlas of Great Britain: Speed prepared the maps himself about two years before they were published. This map is from the ‘Prospect of the Most Famous Parts of the World’, produced in collaboration with Speed to accompany the ‘Theatre’ and published in a joint edition by George Humble in 1631. Many of the maps were anglicized versions of works by Dutch makers, who introduced the carte-à-figure style, with borders of figures in local costume and city views.
- Chubb XXV.
- Chubb, T., Skells, J. and Beharrell, H. (1977). The printed maps in the atlases of Great Britain and Ireland. Folkestone: Dawson.