Some famous cartographic misconceptions
By WIT, Frederick de, 1680
Magnum Mare del Zur cum insula California
- Author: WIT, Frederick de
- Publication place: Amsterdam
- Publisher: Frederick de Wit inde Calverstraet
- Publication date: 1680
- Physical description: Engraved chart with contemporary hand-colour in full.
- Dimensions: 540 by 630mm. (21.25 by 24.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 17549
Although much of this chart is “empty”, it is filled with some of the most famous cartographic misconceptions. California is an island; the northen coastline of Australia is shown, with Tasmania a long way away from any known coastline; the partial coastline of New Zealand is marked; and to the north of Japan are both “Ezo” and “Compagnies lant”. A highly decorative title cartouche fills the bottom right corner, depicting Neptune in a chariot and a medallion portrait of Magellan.
- Burden 469