Geological Map of Nottinghamshire, by W. Smith, Mineral Surveyor.
- Author: SMITH, William
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Published by J. Cary Engraver and Mapseller, No 86 St James’s Street
- Publication date: 1822, but issued after 1844 by Cruchley
- Physical description: Engraved map, fine original hand-colour, dissected and mounted on linen, folding into original blue cloth covers with publisher’s label.
- Dimensions: 589 by 513mm. (23.25 by 20.25 inches).
- Inventory reference: 15380
Smith’s survey of Nottingham reveals the county’s vast stores of clay, along with coal and limestone towards the West. He adds that some of these minerals “produce bad water in the Wells” and identifies where the infrastructure to process the natural resources are based. Along the lower border of the map, a note explains that the numbers used to describe each Stratum “refer to the Geological Table of British Organised Fossils, which may be had of the Publisher Price 1 s[hilling]”. Coincidentally, this work was also one of Smith’s. The compass is found in the upper left corner and the scale in the lower, while the decorative border also contains the lines of longitude and latitude.
Although originally published by Cary, this map was issued by George Cruchley, who purchased the plates from Cary’s sons after his death in 1836. Cruchley promoted his maps as a cheaper alternative to an expensive Ordnance or Cary map, his slogan being “Half the Scale, Half the Price”. The inside label on the covering of this map suggests that it would make “a handsome present for the younger branches of families at any season”. Map publishers and sellers such as Cruchley were central to the shift in cartography that occurred during the nineteenth century, by which maps were no longer the exclusive preserve of the wealthy and education, but became more widely available to the public. There are no records of another example of this map being sold on the market.