Seventheenth century Leiden
By RIVET, Claude, 1650
[Panorama of Leiden] Lugdunum Batavorum Hollandia Celeberrimum et Academia Florentissma.
- Author: RIVET, Claude
- Publication place: Amsterdam
- Publisher: Johannes Blaeu & Claes Jansz.
- Publication date: 1650
- Physical description: Large engraved panorama on 4 numbered sheets joined, contemporary full wash colour woodcut title in six sections pasted above, three panels of descriptive letterpress text composed of 6 half-sheets, in 18 numbered columns pasted outside the lower border, loss of printed area at right, some minor loss skilfully repaired in facsimile.
- Dimensions: 585 by 2120mm (23 by 83.5 inches).
- Inventory reference: 1914
An important panorama of Leiden from the drawing by Claude Rivet executed in 1640, and originally published by the engraver Jacob Savery. This second state was published by Claes Jansz. Visscher, who signed the dedication and text, and Johannes Blaeu, whose imprint can be found below the dedication.