Seventeenth century Antwerp
By VRIENTS, Jan Baptist, 1652
[Antwerp] Antverpia Totius Inferiorsae Primaria Urbs Germaniae Nobilissima et Ducatus Brabanti.
- Author: VRIENTS, Jan Baptist
- Publication place: Amsterdam
- Publisher: Claes Jansz Visscher
- Publication date: 1652.
- Physical description: Large engraved panorama, on four sheets joined, contemporary full wash colour, woodcut title in six sections pasted above, three panels of descriptive letterpress text composed of six half-sheets pasted outside the lower border, previously laid on canvas, some restoration with manuscript reinstatement and retouching, relaid on a modern board backing, with stretchers, the title wrongly reassembled after restoration, should be: “Antverpia totius Inferioris Germaniæ nobilissima et ducatus Brabantiæ primaria urbs”.
- Dimensions: 580 by 2220mm (22.75 by 87.5 inches).
- Inventory reference: 1915
The text outside the lower border comprises a history and description of Antwerp, in Dutch, French and Latin.