Scarce example of Jodocus Hondius’ roundel Leo Belgicus
By HONDIUS, Jodocus, 1593
Belgiae Descriptio in qua civitatum et pagorum numerus praecipua etiam in unaquaque provincia civitas academia item et episcopatus suis quisque notis notantur.
- Author: HONDIUS, Jodocus
- Publication place: Amsterdam
- Publisher: Jodocus Hondius
- Publication date: 1593.
- Physical description: Engraved map with original hand colour.
- Dimensions: 150 by 130mm. (6 by 5 inches).
- Inventory reference: 11887
Complete sets of all five maps are incredibly rare, and copies of the individual maps only slightly less so. There are only two institutional copies of this 1593 edition of the Leo Belgicus roundel, in the Biblioteca Nacional, Madrid and in the Amsterdam Municipal Archives; another in Hamburg was destroyed during the Second World War (Schilder). The copy held in the Yale University Library is the 1602 edition by William Kip and Jan Woutneel, which does not retain either the decorative border or Hondius’ inscription by the lion’s paw (van der Heijden, “Een onbekende Leo Belgicus”).
- H.A.M. van der Heijden, Leo Belgicus: An illustrated and annotated cartobibliography (Alphen aan den Rijn: Canaletto, 1990)
- Heijden, H. (2006). Leo Belgicus: An illustrated and annotated carto-bibliography. Alphen aan den Rijn: Canaletto.