Rare Tibetan map of the world
By THE CHURCH OF SCOTLAND GUILD MISSION, 1940
Tibetan World Map
- Author: THE CHURCH OF SCOTLAND GUILD MISSION
- Publication place: Kalimpong
- Publisher: Printed by the Church of Scotland Guild Mission at the Tibetan Press, Published by Tharchin, Editor, Tibetan News Paper, Kalimpong
- Publication date: 1940.
- Physical description: Lithograph map of the world in Tibetan, fine original colour, on four map sheets, laid on linen.
- Dimensions: 990 by 1220mm (39 by 48 inches).
- Inventory reference: 15161
The Tibet Mirror was based in Kalimpong, where the Church of Scotland had a strong missionary involvement and owned 16 acres of land near the city centre. Other Tibetan writings by Tharchin were printed at “The Church of Scotland Guild Mission at the Tibetan Press”, the same text that appears pasted along the lower border of this map. It is probable that the editor collaborated with this organisation to produce his publications and maps. Along with its informative function, this map was clearly designed with a decorative purpose in mind, shown by the bold colouring, intricately illustrated Tibetan animals and ornate cartouches. The cartography and decoration reflects European practices, again demonstrating the effect of global influences on Tharchin’s work. We have not been able to trace another example of this rare map.