Rare Roger Rea edition of Speed’s map of Buckinghamshire
By SPEED, John, 1665
[Buckinghamshire] Buckingham Both Shyre, and Shire: towne describ.
- Author: SPEED, John
- Publication place: [London]
- Publisher: to be sold by Roger Rea ye Elder and younger at ye Golden Crosse in Cornhill against ye Exchange
- Publication date: 1665.
- Physical description: Double-page engraved map, fine contemporary outline hand colour, upper left and right margins skilfully repaired, margins reinforced with japan paper.
- Dimensions: 410 by 550mm. (16.25 by 21.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 1769
“Mr John Speed’s… Geography of the Kingdoms of England, Scotland, and Ireland… together with his Prospect… all in one entire Volume, hath been, for seven Years past, out of Print, the greatest part of an Impression, then newly Printed, being destroyed by the late dreadful Fire, 1666”. This is borne out by the rarity of the Rea edition of the atlas. There is evidence that they planned an edition of 1666, as there are impressions of Sussex, Buckingham and Derby, with Rea’s imprint, which bear that date. Rea would later sell the plates to Bassett and Chiswell, who would publish a new edition in 1676.