Rare Roger Rea edition of Speed’s Invasions map of England, Wales and Ireland
By SPEED, John, 1665
The Invasions of England and Ireland With al their Civill Wars since the Conquest.
- Author: SPEED, John
- Publication place: [London]
- Publisher: Are to be sold by Roger Rea the Elder and younger at the Golden Crosse in Cornhill against the Exchange
- Publication date: 1665
- Physical description: Double-page engraved map, fine contemporary outline hand colour, upper left and right margin and tear to upper left of centrefold skilfully repaired, left margin trimmed to neatline.
- Dimensions: 410 by 550mm (16.25 by 21.75 inches).
- Inventory reference: 1819
“Mr John Speed’s… Geography of the Kingdoms of England, Scotland, and Ireland… together with his Prospect… all in one entire Volume, hath been, for seven Years past, out of Print, the greatest part of an Impression, then newly Printed, being destroyed by the late dreadful Fire, 1666”. This is borne out by the rarity of the Rea edition of the atlas. There is evidence that they planned an edition of 1666, as there are impressions of Sussex, Buckingham and Derby, with Rea’s imprint, which bear that date. Rea would later sell the plates to Bassett and Chiswell, who would publish a new edition in 1676.
- Skelton 81.
- Skelton, R. (1978). County Atlases of the British Isles 1579–1850. Folkestone: Dawson.