A Survey of The City and Suburbs of Dublin with the Division of t he Parishes reduced from the large plan on four sheets, By John Rocque Chorographer to his Royal Highness the Prince of Wales. [title repeated in French].
- Author: ROCQUE, John
- Publication place: Dublin
- Publisher: A. Dury, published according to Act of Parliament
- Publication date: 1757.
- Physical description: Engraved plan.
- Dimensions: 540 by 720mm (21.25 by 28.25 inches).
- Inventory reference: 14546
At the time of printing, Dublin’s population was around 100,000; the city having greatly expanded from its medieval walls. Numerous churches and chapels crowd the medieval city, with the castle dominating to the right; not far to the south is St Patrick’s cathedral, where Jonathan Swift was dean. To the right of the plan is Trinity College Dublin, Parliament House, and the fashionable St. Stephen’s Green to the south. To the left the Barracks, Royal Hospital and the City work house are clearly marked.
The large scale plan was first published in 1756 with the reduction — the present map — appearing in the following year.