- Author: QARAJADAGHI, Ashraf Ali
- Publication place: [Tehran?]
- Publication date: 1865.
- Physical description: Engraved map with manuscript labels and original hand colour, dissected and laid on linen, original half sheepskin case.
- Dimensions: 890 by 1130mm. (35 by 44.5 inches).
- Inventory reference: 2873
Persia at the time was ruled by Nasser al-Din Shah Qajar. The Shah attempted to take Herat to increase Persian influence in the region and regain territory lost to Russia at the end of the Russo-Persian Wars. The British, mistakenly thinking that Persia was influenced by Russia, and keen to maintain Persia as a buffer between Russian territory and India, declared war in retaliation. The war culminated in Persia abandoning its claims to Herat, and the British making concessions to the Persian government.