Rare map of the Holy Land
By HARPER, Charles, 1650
A New Mapp of the Holy Land.
- Author: HARPER, Charles
- Publication place: London
- Publisher: Printed for Charles Harper att the Flower Deluce over against St. Dunstan’s Church in Fleet street
- Publication date: c.1697
- Physical description: Engraved map on two sheets joined, tear to lower centre of map skilfully repaired, old fold reinforced.
- Dimensions: 310 by 620mm (12.25 by 24.5 inches).
- Inventory reference: 1934
The map was published in Samuel Wesley’s The Life of our Blessed Lord & Saviour Jesus Christ, in 1697, and was based upon Thomas Fuller’s map of Palestine (Laor 278), published in 1650. However, the map differs from Fuller’s by its orientation with west at the top, and its slightly reduced scale.
Rare. We could only trace one institutional copy that in the Jewish National Library.
- Laor 326.
- Laor, E. and Klein, S. (1986). Maps of the Holy Land. New York: A.R. Liss.